I’ve begun to question quite a few things about my future.
One aspect in particular is what I want to do with this site because of the following.
You see, lately, I’ve been getting pretty frustrated with the web in general as there seems to be so much crap being published.
I’m not saying that everything published these days is a waste, but let’s be real here, there is a LOT of crap.
The half-assed sites thrown up just to make money off of advertising.
The junk people pass off as “quality, original content” when it comes to guest posting.
People gaming the Google Page Rank “system”.
It’s all just one big annoyance lately.
To be fair, there are some really high-quality sites that I do like, but the list is shrinking by the day.
My goal isn’t to call anyone in particular out here.
In fact, I think that’s just a really low-class way of attracting attention–going after people publicly in order to make a name for yourself.
It’s kind of like buying fans and followers–it may work every so briefly but it’s a hollow concept.
Instead I’m just venting and hoping that some people will read this and think about ways they can improve on what they are currently doing.
Hey, it’s not like I’m the king of content or anything, but at least I know it and attempt to be a little different from the rest of the crowd (hence this site’s tagline).
So, what is it that has gotten me so riled up about what I’m seeing?
Stuff like this:
- You write lists of points which provide no value or real information (Sort of like this one, but worse! I’m doing this on purpose and least it’s entertaining.)
- The way you write makes me sad for you.
- The crap you write about has been covered to death.
- Speaking of which, you don’t even bother to freshen it up either.
- Nor do you make an attempt to take a different approach or angle.
- You have no personality or fail to show it if you do have one (Think Ben Stein)
- Like AC/DC, all of your stuff sounds the same. (I do like them, but if Angus Young himself can say that then so can I!)
- You don’t provide any value, just throw things together that you read elsewhere.
- Your site is so distracting that I can’t even stay long enough to make it past the 1st sentence (technically not about your writing, but whatever)
- You’re an ad whore or you run sponsored posts without regard for the quality of content.
- Plus, even if it’s an advertorial post, have some pride in what you display to the world and allow to be associated with your name
- Sometimes you even sell your soul and promote things you yourself are against for a quick buck.
- You got mentioned someplace big and it went to your head.
- Guess what, most of those sites only like fluff that their readers will fawn over, not anything real or different.
- You neglect readers, writing for the search engines and your stuff is impossible to read.
- Or, you make factually incorrect statements or assumptions.
- Or, you leave out relevant information that can change the entire meaning or message of a statement.
- Numbered lists–by the time you get halfway through, you’re grasping for anything that barely fits the theme (also see 1st point).
If you do think that I’m just being an ass, there’s a very good reason why it hasn’t been brought to your attention before.
People are too nice and afraid to tell you you suck so you keep doing any or all of these things over and over again.
Instead, they’ll say how awesome that list of a million ways to make extra cash is (even if it didn’t have even one idea on how to actually implement any of the strategies), or how helpful your tips for minimizing utility bills were (even though it’s exactly the same as the last 500 articles on the subject).
It’s not uncommon for someone to leave a constructive criticism in a comment or a private message and the recipient having condom-thin skin, taking offense.
So, what happens?
People just don’t say anything and you go on thinking that you are as great and special as you think.
Take it from me: odds are you’re probably the only one that really thinks so.
Believe me, I’ve been there already!